Library Millage Renewal
1,317,049 items checked out
21,693 people attended 1365 programs
86,267 people used Library computers
On December 31, 2021, the Library’s primary millage will end. This millage was approved in 1986 and lasted for 35 years.
The City Council approved a proposition to be on the December 11 ballot asking voters if they will support a full renewal of this millage.
The proposition would continue to provide $11 million annually to the Library for 20 years, through 2042.
This renewal means that taxpayers will continue paying exactly what they pay now. It is not an increase or a cut.
Why is the City Council asking residents to vote on a millage renewal?
The Library’s primary source of funding is set to expire on December 31, 2021. The City Council adopted a resolution that calls for an election to be held on December 11, 2021, to approve or disapprove a full renewal of this millage.
How long will this proposed tax be collected?
It is a 20-year renewal and will generate $10–11 million annually. This ensures Library funding for the next 20 years.
If voters say Yes…
The Library will be fully funded for the next 20 years.
- Implement the 10-year Strategic Plan of Creating a Library lifestyle
- Develop new center to house equity and inclusion initiatives, African American Resource Collection, BIPOC juvenile collection, and more
- Improve adult literacy, workforce readiness, and digital literacy opportunities
- Invest in early literacy programming and partnerships
- Connect with teens through programming and services
- Reimagine Library spaces, including new mobile services
If voters say No…
The Library will face significant funding cuts.
- Book budget will be cut in half
- DVD and streaming budget will be cut in half
- Operating hours will be reduced—possible Library closures by 2026
- No meaningful investments in facilities maintenance or security
- Less programming and fewer services
Election Day: December 11, 2021
Early Voting: November 27–December 4 from 8:30am–6pm
The deadline to register to vote in person or by mail is November 10.
The deadline to register to vote online at GeauxVote.com is November 20.
The deadline to request an absentee ballot is December 7 by 4:30pm. You can request an absentee ballot online at GeauxVote.com or in writing through your Registrar of Voters Office (other than military and overseas voters).
The deadline for a registrar of voters to receive a voted absentee ballot is December 10 by 4:30pm (other than military and overseas voters).
Early Voting Locations:
1300 Perdido St., Room 1W24,
New Orleans, LA 70112
225 Morgan St., Room 105
New Orleans, LA 70114
Lake Vista Community Center
6500 Spanish Fort Blvd.
(2nd Floor Meeting Room)
New Orleans, LA 70122
Voting Machine Warehouse
8870 Chef Menteur Hwy.
New Orleans, LA 70127