Meeting Room Policy
The New Orleans Public Library (NOPL) offers all who come to the Library access to information through education, communication, and cultural and recreational enrichment. As part of this service to the community, NOPL maintains public meeting room space free-of-charge on a limited basis during regular Library facility hours subject to the regulations below.
Meeting Room Policy
1. Meetings must be free and open to the public and media.
2. Reservations must be made by an adult (18 years of age or older) representative of the group.
3. Any person that requests a meeting room must be a resident of Orleans Parish and possess a valid New Orleans Public Library card.
4. Meeting rooms are booked on a first come, first served basis. Reservations must be made 48 hours prior to the meeting, but not more than 30 days in advance.
5. Use of meeting rooms for Library purposes and where applicable, neighborhood organization purposes, shall take precedence over all other uses.
6. Access shall be provided equitably, regardless of beliefs or affiliations of individuals or groups.
7. Permission to use the Library facilities does not constitute an endorsement by the Library of the user or user’s beliefs.
8. Upon adequate notice and for adequate reasons, the Library reserves the right to revoke permission to use Library meeting rooms.
9. Neither the name nor the address of any NOPL location may be used as the official address or headquarters of an individual or organization.
10. Groups will not be permitted to post any signs or materials on Library property.
11. The Library will not advertise or promote any meeting or event unless it is a co-sponsor.
12. Unless the Library is a co-sponsor, publicity for events must contain this statement: The New Orleans Public Library is not a sponsor, nor does it endorse any practices or points of view of the sponsors of this program.
13. No regularly scheduled daily or weekly meetings are permitted. With approval from the Director, several consecutive dates may be booked for a single event.
14. Meetings involving politics are permitted ONLY under the following conditions: The meeting is held in the form of an open forum with all political parties and/or candidates invited, in writing, to appear.
15. The Library reserves the right to cancel any event due to natural disasters, capital projects, and maintenance problems, or for any other reason deemed valid by the Library. Rescheduling is subject to availability.
16. Meetings must be scheduled within regular Library facility hours. Any requests to conduct a meeting after Library business hours are subject to the approval of the Director. A fee will be charged to cover additional staff expenses
17. All organizations or groups shall indemnify, defend, and hold harmless the New Orleans Public Library and the City of New Orleans, its officials, agents, and employees from and against any and all claims, suits, actions of any kind, arising and resulting and accruing from any negligent act, omission, or error of the organization or group resulting in or relating to personal injuries or property damage arising from the organization/group’s use of the Library meeting room.
1. A completed Reservation Request Form must be filled out, along with an attachment describing your organization and what will take place in your meeting. The Manager of the Library location will approve and forward the request.
2. Final approval of a meeting is subject to the review and approval of the Director (or his/her authorized designee) and the Library Board.
3. The Library Board of Directors reserves the right to review any or all applications and may require sufficient time to make proper investigation before approval is given on a request. Submitting an application to use a meeting room does not guarantee use or date/time requested.
4. Considerations for Approval:
- Non-profit organizations, community groups and individuals with purposes similar to the educational purposes of the New Orleans Public Library.
- Groups and individuals whose proposed usage does not involve commercial, political or religious promotion and in the opinion of the Library Board conflicts with the purpose of the New Orleans Public Library.
- Meetings hosted by the New Orleans Public Library and where applicable, neighborhood organizations associated with a branch Library, hold first priority.
- The branch manager or the Meeting Room Representative will deny applications if, in his/her opinion, the proposed usage would endanger Library buildings and/or collections or interfere with the Library’s operation and other programs.
5. Prohibited Uses:
- Rallies or campaigns for specific partisan political issues or candidates.
- Religious services.
- Non-Library related groups charging admission, fees, or contributions, soliciting donations or taking collections of any kind.
- Activities likely to disturb regular Library functions.
- Fundraising activities or events, except those sponsored by the Library or its partners for funds for the Library.
- Any unlawful purposes.
- Social gatherings, social clubs, social activities, unless sponsored by the Library or its partners.
- Dance or music recitals, unless sponsored by the Library.
Rules and Regulations
1. Once a room is reserved, the Host Organization is not permitted to allow a third party to use the space in their place.
2. Proposed meeting time must include any set-up and clean-up time.
3. Facilities shall be left in a clean and orderly condition. In the event of damages, the Host Organization will be charged no less than the actual costs of repairing damages to the Library’s building, collections, or technology caused by the attendees of the meeting.
4. The Host Organization may not tack anything to walls or doors, or use any type of adhesive that will mar the wall surface.
5. The Host Organization is responsible for supervision of all children.
6. Smoking or open flame of any kind is not permitted in the Library (other than demonstration kitchens).
7. Attendance will be limited to fire code regulations at each location.
8. Meetings may not disrupt the use of the Library by others, and persons attending the meetings are otherwise subject to all Library regulations and policies.
9. Should the Host Organization require security for their scheduled use of a Library meeting room, the Host Organization is responsible for providing and paying for security.
Refreshments and Equipment
1. Groups may serve refreshments. Host Organizations are permitted to serve food and drinks at scheduled events. Alcoholic beverages are restricted to beer and wine. Cleaning the room to original condition is mandatory. The user group will be charged a fee, including commercial carpet cleaning, if the meeting room is not left in its original condition.
2. Groups are responsible for setting up any tables, chairs, or other furniture and must return such furnishings to their original places.
3. Groups must provide their own audio-visual equipment.
4. The Library is not responsible for materials or equipment brought into the Library by individuals or groups. Such materials or equipment may not be stored in the Library.
FAILURE TO COMPLY WITH REGULATIONS OR ABUSE OF ANY OF THE ABOVE-MENTIONED PRIVILEGES WILL RESULT IN SUSPENSION OF RIGHT TO USE.
Problems or complaints shall be submitted in writing to the Director.
To reserve a room, please contact the Library location.