Grow your garden for free with the seed libraries located at Cita Dennis Hubbell Library and Mid City Library.
Cita Dennis Hubbell Seed Library
The Cita Dennis Hubbell Seed Library is open to all – no Library card required. The seeds are donated from Hudson Valley Seed Co., West Coast Seeds, Botanical Interests, and Seed Savers Exchange.
Hubbell Seed Library Rules:
- Any person can take seeds. A library card is not required.
- There is no limit on how many packets you can take, or how often, but we request that you take no more than you need.
- Seeds don’t need to be returned, but you are welcome to donate your own seeds to help our collection grow.
- Seeds can be reserved by calling Hubbell Library at (504) 596-3113.
- Availability may vary. Please call or visit Cita Dennis Hubbell Library for current information on seed offerings.
- Note: Hubbell seed library is a browsing collection. We do not keep an inventory, but can tell you generally what we have (i.e. we can tell you whether we have lettuce, but we can’t tell which the 20 varieties we have).
Mid City Seed Library
The Mid City Seed Library features more than 400 varieties of vegetables, flowers, and herbs, all of which can be grown in Louisiana. Many are native to our region. This library specializes in heirloom seeds, which are adapted to specific growing regions for greater success in growing your garden. The Mid City Seed Library is sponsored by the Friends of the New Orleans Public Library.
Mid City Seed Library Rules:
- Library cardholders can check out up to five seed packets every six months. All packets must be of different varieties.
- When you visit Mid City Library, you can find descriptions of each seed variety, and planting instructions, on the individual packet. Plant photos are also available in an album.
- Seeds don’t need to be returned, but you are welcome to donate your own seeds to help our collection grow. Ask a Librarian how donating your seeds can allow you to check out more seeds.
- Availability may vary. Please visit Mid City Library for current information on seed offerings.